The landing page is one of the most unique elements of your lead generation campaign. Done correctly, it can be an effective tool to boost your conversion rate and optimize your return on investment. Done incorrectly—well, many of us know where that can lead.
So what are some proven tips and tricks for a knockout landing page? Maybe not surprisingly, it all starts with a stellar headline.
- Wow them with the headline. For as much as advertising has evolved over the last century or so, one thing remains true: A really good headline is a powerful thing. Your landing page headline should be an attention grabber — a concise but compelling message that makes readers want to stick around and learn more. Next up? A short and sweet subhead that complements your headline and briefly explains your product or offer.
- Put your offer front and center. They say you have three seconds to engage a potential visitor. Three seconds. So make sure your offer stands out. This involves your headline as well as your subhead, and you may want to consider embedding a short video to educate visitors and provide key information in a format that is clear and easy to understand. Likewise, your call-to-action should be easily recognizable and disp prominently (typically above the fold) and it should tie in with your headline.
- Lose the clutter, keep it simple. Think about your key message: the product or offer that prompted you to create a landing page in the first place. Is every element on your landing page working toward that main goal or purpose? If not, lose it. Likewise, remove any nonessential links that distract from your main purpose. A good rule of thumb is to take a moment and read aloud all the text on your landing page to ensure a good flow. If it goes against the flow, let it go.
- Make it visually appealing. Never underestimate the power of a visually appealing landing page to attract and engage your visitors. Choose your images and color palette carefully, and make sure they resonate with your overall message. Your page should be dynamic but pleasing to the eye—right down to your text color and call-to-action button—so that there is an overall feeling of harmony throughout.
- It all comes down to trust. At the end of the day, if visitors don’t see value in what you’re offering, they’ll hit the road. So how do you establish credibility from the get-go? First, include customer reviews and testimonials. Second, consider giving away a bit of content: a free download, a product demo, or a white paper. Third, use trust signals—things like award logos, certification symbols, or endorsements from popular businesses and brands. Finally, less is more when it comes to your opt-in form. Ask for just the essentials: name, email, and phone number.
A few more things to consider
Include a “Contact Us” button on your landing page in case visitors have questions or want to request more information. In addition, think about how to optimize your landing page for mobile viewers so it works toward your desired goal. And finally, look at your landing page in terms of your overall analytics to help you keep track of what’s working and what’s not.
Remember how we said doing it correctly makes all the difference?
Well, we meant it. Designing a landing page is somewhat of an art form; when done right, it’s a thing of beauty. If you want to learn more about how landing page optimization fits into your lead generation strategy, or if you’re ready to get started today, give us a shout! We know a thing or two about crafting landing pages to meet the unique needs of your visitors and generate the most value for your business.